Saturday 29 January 2011

Black Swan



Went to see Black Swan today....

I have been looking forward to seeing this film since August last year, when my boyfriend pointed me in the direction of the trailer (I even blogged about it here) and I'm pleased to say that after months of anticipation, it totally lived up to my expectations.

I must admit, I do have quite a 'pretentious' taste in film (so I've been told anyway!) so this metaphorical twisted thing of beauty ticked all the boxes for me.

Natalie Portman is brilliant and I have fallen in love with her acting skills even more after this. The film is claustrophobic, difficult to watch and at the same time utterly beautiful. I'm sure not every one will agree, but for all those who love their movies with a healthy dose of surrealism and a side of interpretive thinking, I suggest taking a peek.




Oh and the costumes by Rodarte are simply stunning....






Anyone else seen it? What did you think?

5 comments:

Alex said...

Everyone seems to love this movie! I hated it,This movie to me seems like its trying to be deep and thought provoking but really its pretty shallow and uncomplicated,to me it seems very commercial,but the dresses where pretty!

just my opinion...so dont freak out on me people!

Kat said...

i STILL haven't seen it. i'm just that cheap/lazy. but i want to so badly... i feel like it's going to be even more than i have hoped for.

Zsara Louise said...

i still cant believe i havent gotten my ass into gear and seen this yet. it looks absolutely amazing and i cant wait to go. i can't believe rodarte didn't get nominated for an oscar for those costumes though - from what i've seen they're mesmerising! xo

Beth said...

Got to say Black Swan just doesn't appeal to me - I'm sure I'll get round to seeing it sometime but I just can't make myself interested in it haha!
It should tick all my boxes (surreal/metaphorical/even pretentious) but I just have no desire to see it.
I will endeavour to watch it when it's out on DVD and form some sort of proper opinion :)

Kat said...

@ Alex Ah everyone's entitled to an opinion :) This movie has definitely split opinions, I've heard a lot of bad reviews! I do think sometimes the hype can overshadow the actual movie...

@ Kat Ahh hope you go see it- think it is definitely worth a watch, even if it's just to watch Natalie Portman shine!

@ Zsara I know, shocked that Rodarte didn't get nominated! Crazy oscar people!!

@ Bethan I would say it's worth a viewing on DVD if you can, but I know what you mean, some films just don't appeal do they? I'm terrible, I always watch the same kind of things, but my boyfriend is trying to get me to watch more varied things!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...